Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bookish Sundays: Good Omens

Title: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophesies of Agnes Nutter, Witch


Author: Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Category: Fiction, Humor, Fantasy

Synopsis [c/o Barnes & Noble]:  "According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes NutterWitch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.
So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.
And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . ."
c/o Barnes & Noble
Review: Warning.  This book is hysterical.  Seriously.  I think I peed my pants the first time I read it.  However, if you are unable to take jokes about religious dealings, specifically Christianity, then probably not the best book for you.  In no way shape or form is it anti-religoun or pro-religion.  It's just funny.

Anyway.  From the beginning, the reader is introduced to a  motley cast of characters.  As the novel opens in the Garden of Eden, we see what actually happens when Adam & Eve are cast out, and the angel & demon behind the action.  Fast forward to the twentieth century; God has deemed it time for the end of the world, which therefore necessitates the Antichrist.  But, God's plan is not working out so well.  Between the bumblings of various angels and demons, the steadfast denial of human beings, and the nice and accurate prophesies of Agnes Nutter, dooms day may be delayed.

If you decide to pick this up, be prepared for a few good laughs.  There is a quirky style of writing, quirky conversations, and just plain old ridiculous characters.  Hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This is literally one of my favorite books. I've reread it so many times I can't even count. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so funny!! I might just have to get this! Can I ask y there are two front covers? is this just different covers or different stories inside? Hehe

    Great review! :)

    Jen xxx
    www.itsablondeslife7.blogspot.com

    ooo ps. your dogs r just so cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this book! Neil Gaimen has to be by far one of my favorite people to have ever walked the earth. I remember stumbling onto this book in an underground used bookstore, and seeing that Neil Gaimen(Sandman Chronicles guy) wrote it, so I bought it, and when I finally read it, oh gosh, I was laughing to myself so much. People around me probably thought I was ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna snag this one. American Gods is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete

I respond to every single comment, but only via email. If you don't have an email linked to your account, then I won't be able to respond to you! That doesn't mean I don't read your notes, though. Every single one makes my day better.